Two-thirds of childhood drownings occur May through August, making drowning the biggest summertime risk for kids. If you have a backyard pool — or even a hot tub — be sure to follow these tips:
1. Install a 5-foot-high fence around the pool and secure it with a self-latching gate. The best kind are chain-link fences, which allow you to see through to the swimming pool
2. Never leave a child, even in a small wading pool, unsupervised.
3. Keep toys away from the pool area when you’re not there, to avoid luring an unsupervised child.
4. Keep rescue devices such as a life ring and hook near the swimming pool.
5. Never allow anyone to dive into the shallow end. Check that the diving board is well-anchored.
6. Make sure there is a cover over the main drain.
7. Install a pool cover, and lock up chemicals that are used to keep the pool clean.