Even though Buttercup is an indoor cat, she can still get a taste of the outdoor life. What about giving her free rein on the screened porch? Or you could purchase a large dog crate and pad it with soft pillows for sunny afternoons in the backyard. And, of course, you can always put her on a leash. If you want to try walking your cat (and yes, many people do), Belinda Mager, spokesperson for the Humane Society of the United States
, recommends the following:
- Use a harness, not a collar.
- Begin the training in the house, when she’s hungry. Why the hunger? You’ll be using treats as an incentive.
- Start by putting her on the leash for one minute, then increase the time during each training session.
- Once she’s comfortable on the leash in the house, it’s time to venture outside.
- Stay in the yard and don’t go far. This also reduces the risk that you’ll run into dogs and other animals.