Sending a child off to college is a stressful time for everyone involved. Why let packing add to your anxiety? Most college towns have a big box store (or even a Bed Bath & Beyond) nearby, so buy the trashcans, lamps and hotpots when you get there and save room in the trunk for the true essentials.
See also: 11 Dorm Room Essentials
Bring From Home:
- 2 weeks worth of underwear and socks
- Clothes that will carry you through fall temperatures (you can bring your winter gear at Thanksgiving)
- Pajamas (you might be hanging around the dorm in them, so skip the skimpy ones)
- Raincoat & boots
- Fall jacket
- Hat & gloves (if climate-appropriate)
- At least one cocktail dress or jacket & tie (for semiformal events, particularly if you’re planning to rush a fraternity or sorority)
- At least one pair of dress shoes
- Everyday shoes
- Hiking boots if you plan to explore the outdoors
- At least one bathing suit
- 2 sets of towels & a beach towel or two (if you don’t have extras, buy them there)
- 2 sets of sheets and pillowcases (or buy them there)
- Your favorite pillow
- Under-the-bed storage bins (if you’re driving, use them to pack clothes or supplies)
- Cell phone (and charger!)
- iPod (and headphones!)
- Laptop computer (don’t forget the power cords!)
- Sports equipment (if you really think you’ll use it)
- Medications (plus your doctor’s phone number, any extra prescriptions, and something that indicates your blood type)
- Driver’s license, insurance card, social security card (or copy), birth certificate (or copy), ATM card, checkbook, credit card, passport (if you plan to travel)
- Receipts for anything you did buy at a big box store or BB&B, in case you want to exchange it
Buy at School:
- Bathroom caddy or toiletries bag (you may be toting it from your room to the bathroom daily)
- Your favorite toiletries: Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, moisturizer, facial soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, dental floss, hairbrush, styling gel, baby powder, deodorant, razor, shaving cream, nail clippers, etc.
- Hair dryer
- Over the counter medications: Ibuprofen, antacid, cold reliever, band-aids, antibacterial gel, etc.
- Earplugs (you may be bunking with a snorer)
- Cleaning supplies: Surface spray or wipes, laundry detergent, dish soap, aromatic room spray, stain remover, etc.
- Air freshener
- Hand-held vacuum
- Small iron & ironing pad (if you think you’ll use them)
- Drying rack
- Wall hooks & picture hangers
- Over-the-door hooks
- Shoe bag or organizer
- Message board
- Bulletin board or magnetic board
- Pushpins or magnets
- Posters and/or picture frames
- Area rug
- Storage boxes & bins
- Laundry bag or basket
- Small safe for valuables
- Alarm clock
- Portable tool kit
- Duct tape (you never know when you’ll need it)
- Water pitcher & purifier (like a Brita filter, to cut down on buying bottled water)
- At least one good coffee mug, bowl and travel mug
- Disposable dishes & silverware (or just collect when you order take out)
- Adapters, power strips & extension cords
- Desk and/or reading lamp (check to see if your dorm provides these first)
- Trashcan (dorms usually provide these too)
- Desk supplies: stapler, staples, tape dispenser & tape, pens, pencils, highlighters, sticky notes, scissors, white-out, printer ink, printer paper, etc.
- USB flash drive (or two)
- Microwave & mini-fridge (you can often rent these in your dorm for the school year)
- Coffee maker (if you can’t even make it to the dining hall without caffeine)
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.