264 Governor Aycock Rd., Fremont, North Carolina
As governor of North Carolina from 1901–05, Charles B. Aycock improved the state’s public education system; over 1,000 schools were built during his tenure.
The youngest of 10 children, Aycock was born in 1859 in the simple, unpainted frame house that is now the main attraction at this 19th-century farm complex. Among family furnishings on display are a pine chest, side table, and an assortment of frames. Two shed rooms flanking the front porch were used occasionally by travelers in need of lodging.
A restored kitchen in a separate building contains a large fireplace with many early pots and pans, along with a dining room. The original smokehouse, pantry, stable, and corn barn are still standing. An 1893 one-room schoolhouse was moved to the site and furnished with desks and blackboards, bringing to life rural education in the state at the turn of the 20th century.
Guided tours originate at the visitors center, where a small exhibit area displays Aycock’s gold-headed cane, law books, and replicas of his law office and the parlor of his home in Raleigh. An audiovisual program describes Aycock’s life and significant contributions to education.
Special events are scheduled throughout the year, and living-history demonstrations include candle dipping, spinning, and other home crafts.
Open Mon.–Sat. year-round.