Off NV-400, 17 miles S. of Mill City, Nevada
Perhaps 20 people still live along the main street of Unionville, which winds nearly three miles deep into Buena Vista Canyon. The road is flanked with ruined walls and foundations that recall earlier days of hope and, in the 1860s, a measure of prosperity.
The camp was settled in 1861 by silver miners of divided loyalties. Southern sympathizers named it Dixie, but when the Northern faction gained the upper hand, they changed it to Unionville. Mark Twain came to do some prospecting here, but he got involved in buying up shares in dozens of other mining operations and left after a week or two.
A fire in 1872 destroyed a number of buildings, and the mines were also slowing considerably by then. By 1880 Unionville was in a rapid decline. There are a number of very well-preserved structures here, most notably a covered bridge and a schoolhouse built on a hill. And the Old Pioneer Garden Country Inn—built in 1861, meticulously restored, and operating today as a bed-and-breakfast—is a lodging oasis for travelers.
(775) 538-7585 Old Pioneer Inn