Many call “Singin’ in the Rain” the greatest musical of all time, and it’s getting a diamond anniversary party on July 12—a special one-day-only theatrical event at a multiplex near you. Break out your tap shoes! Call Debbie Reynolds! And get a look at this excellent collection of 25-Things-SITR trivia from Moviefone.com, including:
1. The original title was “Excess Baggage.” (Alicia Silverstone wonders what if Donen had gone there.)
3. Screenwriter Betty Comden remembered producer Arthur Freed told her and partner Adolph Green: “‘Kids, you’re going to write a movie called ‘Singin’ in the Rain.’ Just put all of my songs in it.’ All we knew was there would be some scene where someone would be singing, and it would be raining.”
9. and 11. Legendary dancers Fred Astaire, Gwen Verdon, Carol Haney, and Jeanne Coyne were all involved in minor but memorable ways. (Fosse alert!)
11. The rain was a mix of water and milk, to pop better on screen.
18. One original ending had silent star Lina and vaudevillian hoofer Cosmo getting married. Double wedding with Don and Kathy? Roscoe and Zelda?
Treat yourself to a “Good Morning:”
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- These Adorable Bubblegum Machine Valentines Are Almost Too Cute to Give Away
- Why Are Roses So Popular for Valentine’s Day?
- If You Know 20 of These Tech Words, You Are Officially a Computer Genius
- How to Deal When Your Neighbors Won’t Take Down Their Christmas Lights
- 9 Tricks to Outsmart Criminals You Should Memorize Now