Our Best of America Pinterest board began amidst the planning of our July/August We Hear You, America! package. As we sifted through thousands of heartfelt stories about what our readers love most about their hometowns, the board became a way for us to share the stories we wouldn’t have room for in the magazine.
Submissions ranged from the quirky—with six carousels Binghamton, New York is proud to call itself the Carousel Capital of the World—to the inspiring —the undaunted residents of flood-devastated Minot, North Dakota, banded together to raise money to rebuild their local zoo. And they all seemed too good to simply put aside.
While tracking these Reader’s Digest pins onto the boards of our readers, I picked up on an interesting pinning trend I hadn’t noticed previously: hometown boards. Among the countless alluring pictures of food, fashion, and fluffy pets, pinners were finding our images and using them to craft portraits of their hometowns. Although I haven’t been to all of the places pin-fully presented under board names like “My Hometown!” and “Where I Come From,” I enjoyed sifting through the items users thoughtfully selected to visually showcase what makes their hometown so special to them.
Here are a few of our favorite hometown boards. Happy pinning!
– My Old Hometown!! by Carole D. (Binghamton, New York)
– My Hometown by Jane Tyler J. (Holland, Michigan)
– Where I Come From by Alison J. (Fort Payne, Alabama)
– My hometown :) by Erin E. (Corning, New York)
– My neck of the woods by Brenda S. (Lake Placid, Florida)
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- 13 Bizarre Facts About Dreams to Know Before You Go to Sleep Tonight
- From Knock Knock to Yo’ Mama: 7 Classic Jokes and Their Fascinating Origins
- People Say These 10 Words Aren’t Words, But They Actually Are
- 6 Spooky Facts You Never Knew About the Moon
- Can a Missing Comma Really Get You Out of Paying a Parking Ticket?