We recently covered James Bond mania in honor of the character’s 50th anniversary, and now we’ve had the chance to catch 007’s latest film, Skyfall, before it hits American theaters this Friday. It’s no stretch to say this is one of the best Bonds ever—unless you prefer Moonraker zaniness to something a bit more serious. Here are four reasons why you should check it out:
1. The villain: Javier Bardem plays an evildoer in the classic Bond vein—ingenious, verging on cartoonish and downright diabolical—but the character’s definitely updated for the 21st century: He’s a sort of deranged Julian Assange blended with the Joker. Which makes sense, as director Sam Mendes says he took inspiration from The Dark Knight.
2. M: Sure, Skyfall is a 007 flick through and through, but it really belongs to Judi Dench’s beloved take on the woman who holds Bond’s leash. There are huge, franchise-changing moments for the character here that you won’t want to miss.
3. You’ll see something new: Simply put, this is a very good-looking film packed with gorgeous settings. That most of them get blown up only adds to the spectacle.
4. Daniel Craig’s still got it: To be sure, he’s a very different Bond than we’ve seen before—not as slick as Sean Connery, more rugged than Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan (not to mention George Lazenby)—but Craig takes the character to compelling new places. He has to handle darker, more emotional material, and he excels at it.
Honestly, I could go on, but maybe you’re better off seeing Skyfall for yourself. Let us know what you think in the comments.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- 13 Reasons the American Flag Is Even Cooler Than You Thought
- The Delightful Hidden Meanings of 7 Everyday Objects
- 51 Favorite Facts You’ve Always Believed That Are Actually False
- 12 Glorious American Flag Photos Guaranteed to Make You Feel Patriotic
- 17 Famous Company Names You’re Actually Pronouncing All Wrong