We first ran these deceptively easy questions in 1970. Not one person in a hundred can answer all ten correctly.
For the biggest surprise, write down your picks on a sheet of paper before checking the answers.
Ready? Here we go…
1. Land (now known as the island of San Salvador) was first sighted by a sailor aboard Columbus’s flagship the Santa Maria in 1492. The actual date, as recorded in Columbus’s log, was:
a) October 11
b) October 12
c) October 13
d) November 5
2. The first president of the United States of America was George Washington.
3. According to a map of the United States, which city is farthest west?
a) Los Angeles
4. Between which two cities is the shorter distance by air?
a) New York and Chicago
b) New York and San Juan, Puerto Rico
5. Franklin Delano Roosevelt was elected to four successive presidential terms.
6. According to the latest scientific findings, a given volume of gold weighs less than the identical volume of aluminum.
7. The formula E=mc2 was first conceived by the physicist Albert Einstein.
8. Henry Ford introduced the first Ford automobile. Henry Kaiser introduced the first Kaiser automobile.
9. The first name of the great English playwright Shakespeare was:
10. If you were born on February 29, 1904, you were legally 64 years old on February 29, 1968.
ANSWERS ON NEXT PAGE!
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.