Sure, it might be a great weekend for Frankenweenie, Tim Burton’s latest multimillion dollar 3D flick from Disney, but rest assured: It’ll be around for many more to come. Less accessible are three critically acclaimed documentaries that are worth your cash and full attention. Seek these moving stories out now if you can:
• Searching for Sugar Man: This is the almost unbelievable, inspiring true story of Detroit musician Sixto Diaz Rodriguez, who became a legend in South Africa for his accidental contributions to the anti-apartheid movement, despite being virtually unknown in America. I saw this film when it was released in July and can’t recommend it highly enough: It’s still opening in more locations nationwide, so now could be your chance to catch it in theaters.
• The Queen of Versailles: Here’s another true story about larger-than-life characters: David and Jackie Siegel are billionaires who decide to build the largest mansion in America—and run into financial disaster when the recession hits. It’s the American dream seen through a fun house mirror, and the result is thought-provoking and often hilarious (if cringe-inducing). This one has also been out since July, so seek it out before it leaves theaters.
• The House I Live In: Here’s one I’m headed to tonight, a well-reviewed film about the “War on Drugs” that’s hitting theaters now. It may be a bit heavier than Frankenweenie, but what’s wrong with a little edu-tainment on Friday night?
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- 19 Facts About The Sound of Music That Just Might Blow Your Mind
- 10 Wise Quotes You Can Use to Stop an Argument In Its Tracks
- 8 Fascinating Facts about Twins
- 10 Teary-Eyed Poems on Love, Loss, and the Meaning of Life
- 8 Stunning National Geographic Photos to Remind You How Wondrous Our World Is
- 25 of the Most Memorable Movie Quotes of All Time