When I’m not writing and editing stories at the office, I’m attending readings in every corner of New York City. There’s nothing quite like hearing your favorite prose read aloud. But when the workday runs late or weather outside looks bleak, I visit these websites to get my share of story time.
• For poetry: Visit Poetry Out Loud , where, among other offerings, you can listen to Anthony Hopkins, Angela Lansbury and James Earle Jones read classic works by T.S. Elliot, Matthew Arnold and William Shakespeare.
• For short stories: Check out Many Things and listen in to The Tell-Tale Heart, To Build A Fire, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and more.
• For Moby-Dick, and only Moby-Dick: Okay, I know what you’re thinking: “Why is there a whole category dedicated to this one Melville classic?” Well, it’s my all-time favorite piece of literature and everyone should read it. Artist Angela Cockayne and writer Philip Hoare, who share my obsession with the great white whale, recently launched Moby-Dick Big Read, a serial reading of each of the novel’s 135 chapters to be broadcast online in 135 days. (They’re up to Chapter 11.) Tilda Swinton reads Chapter One to kick off the Melville-fest. (I swoon.)
Tell us: Where do you get your story time fix? Plus, head to StoryBox to tell us a story of your own.
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.
More About Culture
What You’re Sharing
- Edith Macefield Was Offered $1 Million to Leave Her Tiny House. This Is Why She Refused.
- Why Do Adult Siblings Stop Speaking? The Psychology Behind the Not-So-Rare Phenomenon
- 36 Favorite Facts You’ve Always Believed That Are Actually False
- 14 Books You Really Should Have Read By Now
- 13 Things You Didn’t Know About the Titanic