- 2 packages (10-1/2 oz. each ) frozen cut asparagus
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jar (6 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (2 oz.) diced pimientos, drained
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 jar (5 oz.) sharp American cheese spread
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
How to make it
Cook asparagus according to package directions, omitting the salt. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid.
Place asparagus in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Top with peas, mushrooms and pimientos; set aside.
In a small saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Reduce heat; add the cheese spread, salt and pepper; stir until blended. Pour over vegetables.
Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over cheese sauce.
Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Or bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. If refrigerated before baking, remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes beforehand.