For a lighter dish, limit each portion to 1 slice per plate. Cherry tomatoes are the perfect accompaniment.
- prep 15 min
- serves 4
- 2 ripe red-skinned pears
- Fresh lemon juice
- 7-ounce wedge of Gorgonzola dolce cheese
- 1/4 cup pecan nuts
- 8 large slices French bread, about 3/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 ounce watercress sprigs
- 1 ounce arugula
- Fresh-ground pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
How to make it
- Use whole-wheat bread instead of French bread to increase fiber content.
- Gorgonzola dolce is available from specialist cheese stores and some Italian delicatessens. If you can’t find any, substitute thin slices of Stilton cheese for the Gorgonzola, and replace the pecans with walnuts.
- Replace the pears with 2 star fruit, cut into thin slices.
- To make Cheddar, Date and Apple Open Sandwiches, use 8 slices of walnut bread, toasting it, if liked. Top each slice with a small leaf of romaine lettuce and a little watercress. Cover with thin slices of cheddar cheese and apple slices, then sprinkle 4 pitted and chopped fresh dates on top, preferably Medjool from California, which are deliciously moist.
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 440
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbs: 38mg
- Protein: 18g
- Fiber: 4g
FACTOID:Cheese is a good source of protein, calcium, phosphorus, and the vitamins B2 and B12. Blue cheese is high in fat, but its strong flavor means a little goes a long way.
Healthy Cooking Tip
Slicing the bread thickly will increase the ration of starchy carbohydrate to fat, thus helping to make this a healthy, balanced dish.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.