SECRET INGREDIENT: ricotta cheese
There are thousands of recipes for cheesecake, but the best ones usually include more than one type of cheese. Combining cream cheese with ricotta cheese gives the cheesecake more body and a more interesting flavor. A little sour cream doesn’t hurt either.
Instead of fresh fruit, top the cooled cheesecake with fruit sauce before cutting into squares. For a strawberry sauce, melt 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons brandy, a pinch of salt, and 1 pint sliced strawberries. Cook until the berries fall apart and the liquid begins to thicken. Cool.
- prep 10 min cook 60 min
- serves 20
IngredientsNumber of servings: Makes 20 bars
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- Seasonal fresh fruit (optional)