- prep 10-15 min cook 10 min
- serves 8
The smooth flavor of the mushrooms is enhanced by cooking them with garlic, herbs, and a dollop of tangy low-fat sour cream. The mushrooms taste wonderful piled on top of whole-grain toast spread with ricotta cheese.
IngredientsNumber of servings: 1 cup
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Good pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound button mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped
- fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 thick slices cut from a small loaf of whole-grain bread
How to make it 20-25minutes
Some More Ideas
Deviled mushroom toasts: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet, add 1 thinly sliced onion and cook over
medium heat until softened. Stir in 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 pound halved mushrooms, and 1 seeded and diced red bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes, then stir in 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, and 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar. Lower the heat and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toast the bread and spread with 1/2 cup low-fat soft goat cheese. Spoon the hot deviled mushroom mixture over the toasts and serve immediately.
- Though there are over 2,500 varieties of mushrooms grown throughout the world, not all are edible and some are poisonous. All edible mushrooms are a useful source of several B vitamins.
- Like other cheeses, ricotta is a good source of protein and calcium. Because of its high moisture content, it is lower in fat than many other varieties of soft cheese.
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 148
- Calories from Fat: 32
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Sodium: 261mg
- Carbs: 24g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 8g
- Fiber: 4g
Exchanges: starch 1 1/2, fat 1/2
Excellent source of riboflavin. Good source of folate, iron, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, thiamine, vitamin C.