Fried, sautéed, or in cocktail sauce, shrimp is all-American (it’s the country’s top-selling seafood). But add a little ginger and chili sauce, and tried-and-true becomes Thai — and new. You can’t get more down-home than grilled steak — yet topping it with a simple chimichurri sauce will transport you to Argentina. These days, most neighborhood groceries stock all you need to bring other cultures to your dinner table. If you want exotic yet easy, unfamiliar yet family-friendly, grab these recipes from Taste of Home, America’s top food magazine, and head to the store.
- Thai chili sauce is a spicy condiment that will add a kick to stir-fries, marinades, and sauces. (Go easy — it’s three-alarm hot.)
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce give a smoky taste to stews, chilies, and soups. They’re dried jalapeños, so they’ll add some heat too.
- Sesame oil has a light, nutty flavor, perfect for salad dressings.
- Sun-dried tomatoes have an intense, sweet tomato taste that works well in pasta dishes and sauces.
- Coconut milk is a slightly sweet base that adds richness to curry dishes and seafood entrées.
- Curry powder is a blend of up to 20 spices. It brings heat and a complex mix of flavors to sauces, and punches up potatoes and rice.
Recipes to Try
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.