SECRET INGREDIENT: dried cranberries
Some commercial gingersnap cookies taste like just about every baking spice except ginger. To make up for that, we use both ground and fresh ginger here. Dried cranberries make a terrific stir-in that adds a sweet, chewy contrast.
These cookies taste delicious right out of the oven, but to maximize their flavor, store them in an airtight container and let the gingery aromas bloom overnight.
- prep 30 min cook 30 min
IngredientsNumber of servings: Makes 5 dozen
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons peeled grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar