- 2 acorn squash, halved crosswise, seeds removed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 fresh sage leaves, torn in half
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese (about 2 oz.)
How to make it
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place squash halves, cut sides up, in 9-in. baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Pour about 1/2 cup water into baking dish around squash.
Combine cream with sage and garlic in small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then pour into squash halves, dividing evenly.
Bake until squash are tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese, dividing evenly. Continue baking until cheese is melted and golden, about 10 minutes. Serve hot. Serves 4.
From MARTHA STEWART’S DINNER AT HOME, COPYRIGHT © 2009 BY MARTHA STEWART LIVING OMNIMEDIA INC. PUBLISHED AT $35 BY CLARKSON POTTER/PUBLISHERS, 1745 BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10019