They’re ripe on the vine and multiplying like zucchini. How can you savethem for savoring in winter? Simple: Freeze them whole. Here’s how:
1) Start by choosing firm, ripe, deep red tomatoes.
2) Blanch them in boiling water for 30 seconds to loosen the skin.
3) Shock them in a bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking.
4) Remove the peel, place the tomatoes in airtight bags or containers, and store in the freezer.
5) Thaw and use in your favorite recipes, especially in soups and sauces.
Sources: finecooking.com, National Center for Home Food Preservation