- prep 30 min cook 8 min
- serves 4
Recipes for beef and broccoli stir-fries may be commonplace, but this one stands out. Stir-frying orange zest with fresh ginger gives the sauce extraordinary fragrance and satisfying flavor. This dish provides a generous quantity of vegetables balanced with lean protein, providing excellent nutritional value for the calories. For convenience, you can substitute 4 cups frozen broccoli florets for fresh and 2 1/2 cups frozen pepper stir-fry mix for the fresh bell pepper and onion.
IngredientsNumber of servings: 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster-flavored sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chile-garlic sauce or hot red pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces (340 grams) flank steak, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch (5-millimeter)-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sliced onion (1 medium)
- 1 pound (450 grams) broccoli crowns, cut into 1-inch (2.5-centimeter) florets (4 cups)
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into 2- x 1/4-inch (5-centimeter x 5-millimeter) slivers (1 1/2 cups)
How to make it 38 minutes
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, soy sauce, oyster-flavored sauce, vinegar, chile-garlic sauce (or hot sauce) and cornstarch; set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or stir-fry pan over high heat. Add half of the steak and cook, without stirring or turning, until browned on the underside, about 1 minute. Stir and turn the slices, then cook just until browned on the other side, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate. Add another 1 teaspoon oil, repeat with the remaining steak, and transfer to the plate.
Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet, then add the ginger, orange zest, and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, 10 to 20 seconds. Add the onion and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the broccoli and bell pepper and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and cook just until crisp-tender, about 1 1/2 minutes. Push the vegetables to the outside of the pan. Stir the reserved sauce, pour into the center of the pan, and cook, stirring, until glossy and thickened, about 1 minute. Stir the vegetables into the sauce, return the steak to the skillet, and turn to coat.
Healthy Cooking Tip A zester is the easiest way to remove zest from oranges and lemons. If you don’t have one, use a vegetable peeler and mince the peels. Or cover a grater with plastic wrap and use the side made for grating hard cheese.
Healthy Cooking Tip
A zester is the easiest way to remove zest from oranges and lemons. If you don’t have one, use a vegetable peeler and mince the peels. Or cover a grater with plastic wrap and use the side made for grating hard cheese.
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 247
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- Sodium: 655mg
- Carbs: 17g
- Protein: 25g
- Fiber: 3g