SECRET INGREDIENT: zucchini
The best thing about lasagna is the layers of flavor from the cheese, sauce, and noodles. Here’s a fun twist that replaces the layer of noodles with a layer of broiled zucchini slices. Perfect for a vegetarian main course or those looking to reduce carbohydrates.
- prep 25 min cook 55 min
- serves 4
- 3 zucchini (9 to 10 inches long), about 3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 container (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces), divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups jarred tomato-basil sauce
How to make it 1 hour, 20 minutes
Don’t like zucchini? Substitute slices of yellow squash or eggplant. For a little more flavor, replace the mozzarella with shredded aged provolone.