This frosting can be used to decorate cookies for any occasion.
- 4 tablespoons meringue powder*
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 6-7 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
How to make it
With a hand mixer or with a standing mixer fitted with a wire whip, blend meringue powder and water at low speed. Switch to highest speed and whip well until fluffy and stiff peaks form. This may take several minutes.
Gradually add the remaining ingredients and blend well at low to medium speed. The consistency should not be too runny or too stuff. Take a spoonful of frosting, and turn it over the bowl. The frosting should cling to the spoon and slowly fall into the bowl. Add confectioner’s sugar to thicken and water to thin. Yields: 4 cups of frosting, or about 6 frosting bags.
* Find meringue powder in cake supply stores, many supermarkets and in most major craft stores.
Also, see 8 Decorated Christmas Cookies.
Recipes and photos by Meaghan Mountford, author of Cookie Sensations and editor of Craft Gossip.