It’s important to grill the pita bread until it is really crisp and golden or it will quickly become soggy when mixed with the other ingredients. The dressing adds the distinctive flavors of olives, anchovy, and garlic.
- 4 sesame pita breads
- 2 cans (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, preferably kalamata olives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive tapenade
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
How to make it 20 Minutes
Chickpea and eggplant salad: Cut 1 small eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes and gently sauté in 2 teaspoons olive oil for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, and continue cooking until the eggplant is lightly browned and tender. Remove from the heat and mix with 2 cans (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed, 1 thinly sliced red onion, 1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves, and 1 seeded and thinly sliced yellow pepper. For the dressing, whisk together 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, and pepper to taste.
- Tapenade is a thick paste made from capers, anchovies, olives, lemon juice, and seasonings. Just a little of this potent condiment goes a long way in flavoring a dish.
- Both the white bulb and the green leaves of scallions can be eaten. Using the green leaves increases the amount of beta-carotene that is consumed.
Healthy Cooking Tip
If you cannot find sesame pita bread, you can substitute whole wheat pita breads.
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 269
- Calories from Fat: 58
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 365mg
- Carbs: 44g
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 11g
- Fiber: 8g
Excellent source of folate, iron, thiamine, vitamin C. Good source of magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, riboflavin, vitamin A, vitamin B6.
Exchanges: starch 2 1/2 vegetable 1 fat 1