- prep 10 min cook 30 min
- serves 4
Butternut squash has a lovely, firm texture, ideal for cooking in stews. Combined with black-eyed peas, corn, and red bell pepper, it makes a nutritious family supper dish that is perfect for cold winter days. Serve the stew with steamed rice or warm naan bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Chopped parsley (garnish)
How to make it 40 minutes
Authentic Indian-flavor stew: Soften the sliced onion and garlic in the olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in 1 teaspoon curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric. Add the butternut squash with 1 cup thickly sliced baby corn. Cover and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Replace the black-eyed peas with chickpeas, adding them with the canned
tomatoes and broth (omit the corn kernels).
Garnish with 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro instead of parsley, and serve with steamed jasmine rice or warm naan bread. Cubed, fresh pumpkin can be substituted for the butternut squash.
* There are over 25 species of pumpkin and squash, some of which have been cultivated for 9,000 years. All varieties are rich in beta-carotene and contain useful amounts of vitamin C.
* Research has shown that leaving freshly crushed garlic cloves to stand for 10 minutes before cooking maximizes the formation and retention of cancer-fighting compounds.
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 272
- Calories from Fat: 44
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 1,023
- Carbs: 53g
- Sugars: 21g
- Protein: 10g
- Fiber: 9g
Excellent source of folate, iron, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, thiamine, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C. Good source of calcium, riboflavin.
Exchanges: starch 2 1/2, vegetable 3, fat 1/2
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.