- prep 25 min cook 45 min
- serves 4
Individual squashes, such as acorn or even small pumpkins, work well in this recipe and they make an impressive vegetarian main course for a winter dinner.
- 1 cup mixed basmati and wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 4 small acorn squashes
- 3/4 cup cooked chestnuts (canned or vacuum packed), roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
How to make it 1 hour, 10 minutes
Some More Ideas
Use other winter squashes such as small pumpkins instead of acorn squash. The cooking time can vary from 45 to 60 minutes, depending on the type of squash and its size. Replace the mozzarella with other cheeses, such as Gruyère.
* Acorn squash is a winter variety of squash. Winter squashes are allowed to mature into hard, starchy vegetable fruits with very good keeping properties, while varieties such as zucchini are eaten while immature and the skins are still edible. Acorn squash is a good source of beta-carotene, which the body can convert to vitamin A.
* Unlike other nuts, chestnuts are low in fat-other nuts have up to 20 times as much fat. Chestnuts are also a good source of thiamine and potassium, and a valuable source of dietary fiber.
* Both dried and fresh cranberries are a good source of vitamin C. Cranberries also have the reputation of helping to control urinary tract infections such as cystitis.
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 415
- Calories from Fat: 34
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Sodium: 85mg
- Carbs: 89g
- Sugars: 25g
- Protein: 12g
- Fiber: 14g
Exchanges: starch 5, fruit 1/2
Excellent source of calcium, folate, iron, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, thiamine, vitamin B6, vitamin C. Good source of copper, riboflavin, vitamin A
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.