Their natural sweetness makes dates an excellent ingredient for desserts, cakes, and chutneys. Here they are cooked until thick and smooth with an apple and aromatic spices, then blended with cream cheese to make a sweet and spicy dip for fresh fruits and vegetables.
- prep 20 min cook 15 min
- serves 1 1/4 cup
- 3 green cardamom pods or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 extra-large cooking apple, such as Jonathan, McIntosh, Rome Beauty, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped dried dates
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel),at room temperature
To serve as a dip for cruditês such as: Wedges of red and green apples Carrot, celery, and cucumber sticks Wedges of fresh pineapple, seedless grapes, strawberries
How to make it 35 minutes
Healthy Cooking Tip Use this cream cheese dip as a filling between layers of
spice or carrot cake instead of frosting.
Try this dip as a filling for crêpes or as an
accompaniment for French toast.
Healthy Cooking Tip
Use this cream cheese dip as a filling between layers of
- Neufchâtel is cream cheese that is made
with one-third less fat and is slightly moister
than regular cream cheese. It’s perfect for
adding creaminess and flavor to this dip.
- The apple and dried dates are high in fiber.
Dates are an excellent source of potassium,
which helps to regulate the balance of fluids
in the body.
- Both cinnamon and cardamom are thought
to help relieve indigestion.
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 83
- Calories from Fat: 44
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Sodium: 96mg
- Carbs: 8mg
- Sugars: 7g
- Protein: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Each serving (two tablespoons dip)
- Exchanges: fruit 1/2, fat 1