- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound hot dogs, cut into ½-inch circles
- 1 15-16 ounce can baked beans with liquid
- 1 15-16 ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup hickory-smoke barbecue sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped sweet onion
How to make it
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, under bacon is crisp and brown. Remove from skillet and drain on clean paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon of pan drippings and discard remaining drippings. Crumble bacon and reserve until serving.
Saute onion and hot dogs in reserved pan drippings until onions and hot dogs are lightly brown.
Transfer to a medium size slow cooker and stir in beans, ketchup, barbecue sauce, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir well.
Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH setting for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Portion into bowls and sprinkle each serving with reserved bacon, grated cheese and chopped onion.
Want more hot dog ideas? Check out 6 Hot Dog Recipes (Plus: 2 Irresistible Dips).