Spaghetti with Wilted Greens and Walnut PestoLara Ferroni
Makes 4 servings
1 pound spinach spaghetti
1/2 cup chopped and toasted walnuts
1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan, plus more for garnish
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pint cherry tomatoes (optional)
1 package (5 ounces) baby kale or other braising greens
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions to al dente in a large pot of lightly salted water. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
2. Add the walnuts, parsley, basil, garlic, and Parmesan to a food processor, and pulse to finely chop. stream in 2 tablespoons of the oil to create a chunky puree. Add salt to taste.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. While the oven heats, fry the eggs sunny-side up and set aside. Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 5 to 10 minutes, until they begin to burst.
4. In a large skillet over medium-high heart, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, toss in the kale, and cook until it's just wilted, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the drained pasta, and cook for 2 minutes, or until warmed through .Stir in the pesto with about 1/2 cup of the pasta water and cook until the water has evaporated.
5. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls and top each with an egg, add one-forth of the cherry tomatoes, and a sprinkle of Parmesan and red pepper flakes to taste.
BBQ Chicken and Egg SandwichLara Ferroni
Makes 6 sandwiches
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup minced shallot
1/3 cup minced serrano or jalapeno peppers with seeds
1/4 cup minced garlic
6 boneless chicken thighs
6 small brioche buns
2 slices red onion, separated into rings
1. Start by making the sauce. Add the tomato paste to a medium saucepan, with a splash of water. Stir to thin the paste, then add the remaining water a little at a time. Stir in the apple cider, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, shallot, peppers, and garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and briskly simmer, stirring occasionally until sauce is reduced to 2 1/4 cups, about 1 hour. (Stir frequently toward the end of cooking to prevent sticking.) Taste and add salt if needed. Place about half of the sauce in large bowl, saving the rest for later use.
2. You'll get most flavor if you grill the chicken. Heat and outdoor grill to medium-high and lightly oil the grill rack. Place the chicken on the grill, skin side down. Cook for about 1- minutes, then flip the chicken and continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F on a meat thermometer, another 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the grill and dip it in the bowl with the sauce, turning to coat. Return the chicken the grill and cook for another 3-4 minutes on each side, until the chicken begins to caramelize.
3. If you don't have a grill, you can make the chicken in the over on a broiler pan. Heat the oven to 450 degrees F and cook the chicken for about 10 minutes on each side. Coat with the sauce as described above, return the chicken to the oven, and broil for about 4 minutes on each side.
4. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the eggs, either over easy or poached.
5. To serve, spread a bit of BBQ sauce on each of the bottom buns, and top with a chicken thigh, a ring of two of onion, and an egg.
Savory Oatmeal with a Basted EggLara Ferroni
Makes 1 hearty breakfast
1/2 cup steel-cut (not rolled) oats
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons shredded Emmentaler or Gruyere Cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a small saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups of water with a pinch of salt to a boil and stream in the oats. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the oats are soft, 30 to 45 minutes. Baste the egg while the oaks are cooking.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the olive oil and cheese. Top with the egg and season to taste with salt and pepper. Eat immediately.
Content continues below ad
Nachos with EggsLara Ferroni
Makes 2 large plates of nachos
6 cups corn tortilla chips
1 cup whole pinto beans
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup seeded, chopped tomato
1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
2 tablespoons guacamole (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the chips on the prepared sheet in a single layer and bake for 5 minutes.
2. While the chips bake, fry the eggs sunny-side up (see below).
3. Sprinkle the chips with the beans, cheese, onion, and tomato. Return the sheet to the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle with the jalapenos.
4. Working from one edge, fold one-third of the chips toward the center, and then fold over again. Transfer the chips to a platter and scatter the cilantro over the top. Top with the eggs, sour cream, and guacamole.
Use the freshest eggs for frying. Older eggs will have flat yolks that are likely to break while cooking. For the neatest-looking fried eggs, drain off the thinner part of the white by placing the whole egg in a slotted spoon, then place it in a ramekin to pour.
The most delicious sunny-side up egg I've found is one that follows the French method of slow cooking in butter. Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter (or oil if you prefer) in a well-seasoned carbon steel or cast-iron skillet over low heat, and crack your egg onto a saucer. When the butter has just melted (don't brown it!), slide in the egg. Cover the skillet and cook the egg for 5 minutes, until the white has set but the yolk is still runny.
Hot Dogs with Scrambled Eggs and Hot SauceLara Ferroni
Makes 1 hot dog
1 hot dog or Polish sausage
1 teaspoon butter
2 eggs, scrambled
1 hot dog bun
Plenty of hot sauce
1. Heat a skillet that will fit your hot dog over medium-high heat. Add about 1/4 cup of water to the skillet and bring it to a rapid boil. If you want to get fancy, you can use a little beer instead. When the water is at a good steam, add the hot dog. Cook until the water is completely gone. Then add the butter to the pan and cook the dog, flipping occasionally, until it's a little caramelized all over, about 3 minutes. While the hot dog is cooking, make your scrambled eggs.
2. To serve, nestle the hot dog in its bun and top with the scrambled eggs and many shakes of hot sauce.
Put an Egg on ItLara Ferroni
For more mouth-watering recipes featuring eggs, take a look at "Put an Egg on It" here.
Content continues below ad