SECRET INGREDIENT: butternut squash
Many tender breads get their pleasing texture from pureed vegetables. Here, butternut squash lends a soft texture and beautiful sunny color to the bread. Try it with hearty beef or pork stews.
- prep 30 min cook 20 min
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm (110°-115°F) water
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/3 cup warm (110°-115°F) milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
How to make it 50 minutes
Replace the butternut squash with cooked mashed sweet potatoes. Or, for a quick switch, use canned pumpkin puree instead.