Katie says: “This fried rice dish is lighter than take-out and has an appealing simplicity to it. Substitute diced chicken or pork for more variations.” Read more about The Mom 100 Cookbook here.
IngredientsNumber of servings: 4 to 6
• 1 pound large (31 to 40 per pound) peeled and deveined shrimp, cut in half crosswise
• Kosher or coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 3 large eggs, beaten
• 3 cups cold cooked white or brown rice
• 1⁄2 cup chopped carrots
• 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
• 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
• 1⁄4 cup low-sodium soy sauce, or 3 tablespoons regular soy sauce and 1 tablespoon water
• 1 cup frozen shelled edamame or peas, thawed
• 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallions, both white and light green parts
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, or 1 additional thinly sliced scallion, for garnish
Excerpted from The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket. Copyright © 2012 by Katie Workman. Used by permission of Workman Publishing Co., Inc. New York. All Rights Reserved.