You Will Need
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 medium onions, chopped
3 celery sticks, chopped
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
3 cups (27 fl oz./800 ml) drained canned tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato paste (purée)
2 cups (17 fl oz./500 ml) vegetable stock
2/3 cup (5 fl oz./250 ml) heavy (double) cream
1 package (17.3 oz./490 g) chilled
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil and cook the onions and celery over a low heat until the onions are soft; add the tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover, add the stock, bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Transfer the mixture to the food processor and purée. Stir in the cream and season to taste. Refrigerate until the pastry top is ready.
3. Divide the soup between six deep, ovenproof soup bowls. Leave a 1 in. (2.5 cm) gap at the top of each bowl.
4. Roll the pastry to 1/8-in. (3-mm) thickness and cut out six circles about 1 in. (2.5 cm) larger than the top of the bowls. Place a circle of pastry over each bowl, sealing the pastry to the outside of the bowl. Chill for at least half an hour. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C/Gas Mark 4).
5. Brush the pastry with beaten egg and place the soup bowls in the lower third of the oven and bake for 15–20 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.