- prep 10min cook 20min
- serves 9
Fresh summer berries not only add delicious flavor and color to these tempting muffins, they also make them more nutritious. The muffins are at their best when served warm, fresh from the oven, but will be enjoyed just as much once cooled — an ideal addition to a family breakfast, or for breakfast on the go.
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries and raspberries
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat
- margarine spread
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup fat-free milk
How to make it 30 minutes
Some More Ideas
* Instead of a mixture of white and whole-wheat flour, use all white or all whole-wheat flour.
* For a hint of spice, add 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mixed spice, ginger, or cinnamon with the flour.
* Replace the berries with other fresh fruit, such as chopped apples, apricots, peaches or strawberries, or dried fruit, such as raisins, chopped apricots, dates or figs.
* Pear and cinnamon oatmeal muffins: Mix 3/4 cup self-rising whole-wheat flour, 1/4 cup oat bran, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Fold in 1 peeled and chopped pear. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons melted reduced-fat margarine spread, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons orange juice. Pour this over the flour mixture and fold the ingredients together. Spoon into 9 muffin tins and bake as in the main recipe.
FACTOID:Combining whole-wheat flour with white flour increases the fiber content of these muffins and adds valuable nutrients such as B-group vitamins. Fresh berries are naturally low in fat. They offer dietary fiber and make a good contribution to vitamin C intake. Raspberries also supply vitamin E, and blueberries, like cranberries, contain a compound that helps to prevent urinary-tract infections.
Exchanges: carbohydrate 2, fat 1/2
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 98
- Calories from Fat: 18
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Sodium: 162mg
- Carbs: 18g
- Protein: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
Excellent source of phosphorus. Good source of calcium.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.