Impress your Thanksgiving guests with this beautiful and delicious mashed potato pie.
- prep 30 min cook 60 min
- serves 6
Sweet potatoes are a rich source of vitamin A. You can make the topping with white or sweet potatoes, or with rutabaga. For pretty presentation, see our mashed potato topping tips.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 pounds sweet or all-purpose potatoes or rutabaga, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
How to make it 1 hour, 30 minutes
Heat a Dutch oven over moderately high heat until hot. Add the beef and turkey and sauté, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink and has released its juices. Remove from the heat and spoon the meat into a sieve set over a bowl. Allow all the fat to drain from the meat for at least 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in the Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the onions, garlic and carrots and sauté about 10 minutes or until softened and golden brown. Return the meat to the pan.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes or until a rich stew has formed.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Meanwhile, simmer sweet potatoes in a pan of boiling water about 10 minutes or until tender. Drain, return to the saucepan, and mash them with the milk until smooth. Stir in the chopped parsley.
Transfer the meat mixture to a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish and smooth out to an even layer.
Spread the mashed sweet potatoes over the meat and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through and bubbling around the edges.
Mashed Potato Toppings Designs
- For rosettes, use a pie tile-like indentations with the tip of a spoon.
- For a crisscross pattern, draw a fork tip across the surface.
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 393
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Sodium: 360mg
- Carbs: 52mg
- Protein: 31g
- Fiber: 8g