- 1 1/2 lbs. rib eye steaks (about ½ in. thick)
- 3 tbs. light brown sugar
- 2 tbs. ground coriander
- 1 tbs. ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbs. Asian fish sauce or soy sauce
- 3 tbs. vegetable oil
- Singapore Cucumber Relish and Fried Garlic Peanut Sauce (optional, recipes follow), for serving
How to make it
Singapore Cucumber Relish
- 2 Kirby (pickling) cucumbers with seeds or 1 medium cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 1 shallot, minced (2 to 3 tbs.), or
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, trimmed and minced
- 1 small hot red chile, such as a bird or cayenne pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 tbs. sugar
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
How to make it
Cut cucumbers into 1/4-in. dice. Place cucumbers, shallot, chile, rice vinegar, and sugar into mixing bowl and toss gently to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The relish can be made up to 2 hours ahead. Makes 1 to 1 1/2 cups.
Fried Garlic Peanut Sauce
- 2 tbs. vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic, 3 cloves thinly sliced crosswise and 2 cloves minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 strips (each 1/2 in. by 2 in.) lemon zest
- 1 to 3 small hot chiles, such as Thai chiles or serrano or jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced (for hotter sauce, leave in seeds)
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbs. sugar, or more to taste
- 2 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. fish sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice, or more to taste
- 1 tbs. finely chopped cilantro
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground pepper
How to make it
“PLANET BARBECUE,” COPYRIGHT © 2010 BY STEVEN RAICHLEN, IS PUBLISHED AT $22.95 BY WORKMAN PUBLISHING, 225 VARICK ST., NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10014. PHOTOS: BEN FINK
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.