Yield: 1 qt.
• 1 large seedless (English) cucumber, unpeeled
• 1 tbs. kosher salt
• 2 large firm and sweet apples (such as Crispin, Rome, or Braeburn), unpeeled, cored, and halved
• 2 medium shallots
• ¼ jalapeño pepper
• ¾ cup cider vinegar
• ½ cup water
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 star anise pod
1. Prep cucumber: Cut off ends and discard; slice cucumber very thinly crosswise (using mandolin if possible). Put slices in colander; toss with salt. Let sit 20 minutes; rinse and drain.
2. Meanwhile, thinly slice apples, shallots, and jalapeño crosswise (using mandolin if possible). Transfer to bowl; set aside.
3. In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, water, and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add cinnamon stick and anise pod; stir. Pour over apple mixture. Add cucumber and toss; let mixture sit at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, before serving. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks in mason jar or airtight container.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.