- prep 45 min cook 2 hrs
- serves 8
One of the best parts of roasting a turkey is making a big pot of soup from the rest of the bird. If you’re not roasting a bird, use low-sodium canned chicken broth instead of the homemade stock. Add winter vegetables and chestnuts for a satisfying, healthy meal.
- 2 pounds cooked turkey breast (boneless)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 large turnips, peeled and chopped
- 4 large celery stalks, chopped
- 6 ounces pearl onions, peeled
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, halved or chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped chestnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 turkey carcass (from at least a 12-pound bird) or 5 pounds turkey parts, on bone
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 large celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 10 sprigs each fresh parsley and thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 12 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to make it 2 hours, 45 minutes
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 302
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 95mg
- Carbs: 33g
- Protein: 3g
- Fiber: 6g
In-a-hurry turkey soup: Substitute 9 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth for the homemade turkey stock. Pour the broth into the stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat. Proceed by adding and cooking the vegetables.
Vegetable garden turkey soup: Substitute 1 cup uncooked white rice for the barley. Omit the sprouts and chestnuts; add 2 cups fresh or frozen green peas and 1 cup chopped tomatoes. Simmer 10 minutes more if using fresh peas (only 5 minutes more for frozen peas).
Turkey noodle soup: Omit the barley, sprouts, and chestnuts. Decrease the cooking time from 30 minutes to 15 minutes. Add 1 cup uncooked angel hair pasta and 1 cup chopped red bell pepper. Return to a boil and cook until pasta is tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley, then top with 1/4 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts.
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.