When it came to making turkey or chicken pot pies, grandma’s rule was—anything goes. Some grandmas topped their pies with dumplings. Others used pastry as in this recipe.
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated skimmed milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and white or black pepper
- 1 store-bought or homemade pie crust
- Low-fat (1% milkfat) milk
Healthy Cooking Tip
Positioning rolled-out homemade pie crust on top of a pie can sometimes be tricky. Here’s how to move the pie crust without tearing it. Transfer the pie crust to a rolling pin by lifting the edge of the crust over the top of the rolling pin. Then, gently roll up the crust. After positioning the rolling pin at 1 edge of the filled casserole, slowly unroll the crust over the casserole.
How to make it 1 hour, 30 minutes
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In the same saucepan, whisk together the evaporated skimmed milk, flour, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Stir in the reserved cooking liquid. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken. Cook and whisk for 2 minutes more or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the turkey mixture.[/step-item]
3. Spoon the turkey mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Place the pie crust on top of mixture in casserole (tip, below). Trim to 1 inch beyond edge of casserole. Fold under extra crust and crimp edge. Cut slits in crust. Brush with a little milk. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pie crust is golden. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.[/step-item]
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 384
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Sodium: 439mg
- Carbs: 37g
- Protein: 33g
- Fiber: 1g
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.