The secret ingredient to seductive brisket: canned cranberry sauce. Read Stephanie Pierson’s holiday story of romance and brisket while cooking.
Yields: 10 servings, plus leftovers
Active time: 30 minutes
Total: 5 hours (plus 2 days for marinating)
• 1 (4- to 5-lb.) flat-cut beef brisket, untrimmed
• 1 tbs. kosher salt
• 2 tsp. garlic powder
• 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 4 large onions, peeled and cut into eighths
• 2 14-oz. cans jellied cranberry sauce, sliced
1. Sprinkle both sides of brisket with salt, garlic powder, pepper, and paprika. Tightly wrap brisket with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 day.
2. Preheat oven to 500°F.
3. Unwrap brisket and place in roasting pan. Roast for 40 minutes, turning over halfway through. Remove pan from oven, and reduce temperature to 350°F. Place onions under and around brisket, then cover the top of it with cranberry sauce slices. Using caution (pan will be very hot), tightly cover pan with heavy-duty foil. Roast until brisket is fork-tender, about 3 hours.
4. Let brisket cool in pan. Scrape off sauce (leave it in pan), and transfer brisket to cutting board; trim fat. Return brisket to pan and cover with sauce. Cover roasting pan and refrigerate overnight or up to 1 day.
5. About 1 hour before you want to serve the brisket, preheat oven
6. Skim any congealed fat from sauce. Cover pan with foil. Heat brisket for 20 minutes, then uncover and cook until hot and bubbling and sauce has reduced a bit, 20 to 30 minutes more. Slice brisket and serve with sauce.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.