In this salad, the salty tang of creamy feta cheese contrasts with pieces of sweet watermelon and juicy golden nectarines. A mix of arugula, endive, and leaf lettuce adds a slightly peppery taste, while the toasted pumpkin seeds give a crunch. The dressing is light and zesty, complementing the flavors of the salad perfectly. Serve with whole-wheat bread for a light lunch or dinner meal.
- 1 small watermelon (about 1 pound)
- 2 large nectarines or peaches
- 6 cups mixed salad greens, including arugula, endive, and leaf lettuce
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
How to make it 20 minutes
* Pear and Gorgonzola salad: Instead of the watermelon and nectarines, use 1 pound ripe, cored, thinly sliced red Bartlett or Comice pears, and 3 cups sliced ripe strawberries. Use 1 cup creamy Gorgonzola cheese instead of the feta cheese. Include radicchio in the mix of salad leaves.
* Try using toasted walnuts in place of the toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
* The golden nectarines and peaches contain the antioxidant beta-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. Watermelon contains a fair amount of vitamin C.
* Feta cheese is relatively high in sodium, and actually contains more than twice as much sodium as found in the same quantity of cheddar cheese. To reduce the salt, soak the feta in milk for 30 minutes. Then rinse the cheese in a strainer under running water and pat dry on paper towels.
* Sunflower seeds are one of the best sources of vitamin E, which helps to maintain red blood cells and muscle tissue.
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 198
- Calories from Fat: 131
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Sodium: 386mg
- Carbs: 13g
- Sugars: 9g
- Protein: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
Excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C. Good source of calcium, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, riboflavin, vitamin B6.Exchanges: fruit 1/2, vegetable 1, meat (high fat) 1, fat 1
Healthy Cooking Tip
To serve the salad later, prepare the salad through Step 2, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Proceed with Steps 3 and 4 right before serving. Serves 4.
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.