With all the cooking you’ll be doing, save yourself some time and buy the packaged, pre-washed and trimmed baby spinach. The greens stay fresh for several days in the refrigerator.
- 8 cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves, stemmed, rinsed, and dried
- 2 Bosc pears (do not peel), quartered lengthwise, cored and cut into long, thin slices
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) coarsely grated Parmesan cheese (see Cook’s Note)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make it
I prefer the taste of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and recommend using it for this salad. To coarsely grate the cheese, use either the coarse side of a box grater or the medium shredding disk of a food processor.
Excerpted from The Thanksgiving Table: Recipes and Ideas to Create Your Own Holiday Tradition by Diane Morgan. Text copyright © 2001 by Diane Morgan. Photos copyright © 2001 by John A. Rizzo.