Thai-Style Stir-Fried Beef with Mango
This recipe's dressing is completely oil-free, so although both the beef and nuts contain fat and the beef is stir-fried in a little oil, the dish is still light on the fat front. Also, no extra salt is needed because of the spicy dressing and saltiness of soy sauce.
from Eat Yourself Healthy
This colorful dish is bursting with fresh flavors and deliciously contrasting textures.
This recipe’s dressing is completely oil-free, so although both the beef and nuts contain fat and the beef is stir-fried in a little oil, the dish is still light on the fat front. Also, no extra salt is needed because of the spicy dressing and saltiness of soy sauce.
- prep 30 min cook 10 min
- serves 4
- 14 oz lean steak, such as sirloin
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp sunflower oil
- Ginger and honey dressing
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp mild Mexican-style chilli powder
- 1½ tbsp clear honey
- 1 in. piece fresh root ginger, grated
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1 ripe but firm mango, peeled and cut into strips
- 2 ripe but firm plums, sliced
- ¼ medium-sized red cabbage, shredded
- 2 oz watercress leaves
- ½ cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- ½ red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3–4 spring onions, cut into diagonal pieces
- 1½ oz mixed fresh mint and coriander
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
How to make it 40 minutes
To make the dressing, put the paprika, chilli powder, honey, ginger and vinegar in a saucepan and slowly add 8 1/2 fl oz of water, stirring. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime or lemon juice. Set aside.
Combine all the salad ingredients, except the peanuts, in a large shallow serving dish and toss gently together until evenly mixed. Set aside.
Cut the steak into thin strips for stir-frying. Put the steak in a bowl with the garlic, sugar and soy sauce and mix together so the strips of steak are seasoned. Heat a wok or non-stick pan on a high heat, then add the oil. Add the beef and stir-fry until the strips are evenly browned and cooked to taste.
Spoon the stir-fried beef over the top of the salad. Drizzle the dressing over the top and sprinkle with the peanuts. Serve immediately.