- 2 tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 3/4 lbs.), cut into 1-in. florets
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock, store-bought
- 2 cups water
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems removed, plus small sprigs for garnish
How to make it
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, stock, water, 2 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer, stirring once, until cauliflower is very tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in watercress.
Working in batches, purée soup in blender, filling no more than halfway each time. Return soup to saucepan; cover to keep warm. To serve, ladle soup into bowls, and garnish each with a sprig of watercress and a sprinkling of pepper. Serves 4.
From MARTHA STEWART’S DINNER AT HOME, COPYRIGHT © 2009 BY MARTHA STEWART LIVING OMNIMEDIA INC. PUBLISHED AT $35 BY CLARKSON POTTER/PUBLISHERS, 1745 BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10019