6. For soft, natural highlights, squeeze some lemon juice on your hair before heading into the sun. Or use shampoos and styling products that contain citrus fruits, suggests celebrity hairstylist Federico of Beverly Hills. Citrus adds subtle streaks to your hair without adding damage.
7. To get beautiful streaks at home, mix honey and alum, an aluminum compound sold in most drugstores. Combine the two ingredients into a thick paste and paint the mixture on with your fingertips. Sit in the sun for 45 minutes, then shampoo and rinse your hair. You should have highlights three shades lighter than your natural hair color.
8. Bathe your hair in botanical oils. Available at health food stores, olive, jojoba, and sweet almond oils are all wonderful elixirs for hair. If your hair is thick and heavy, coconut oil works wonders. Dampen your hair and apply small amounts of the botanical oil until your hair is thoroughly covered. Cover with a shower cap and warm towel for a half-hour, then rinse and shampoo as usual.
9. Mix a few drops of sandalwood oil with a few drops of olive or jojoba oil, rub the mixture between your palms, then smooth it through the ends of your hair for instant sleekness and a way to instantly curb and condition brittle, flyaway hair. Or you can squirt a few drops of hand lotion in your palm and smooth it through your hair.
10. Mix a few drops of your favorite fragrance into your hair gel before applying. You’ll wind up with hair that not only looks, but smells, great, says Susie Galvez, author of Hello Beautiful: 365 Ways to Be Even More Beautiful.
11. Transform ordinary shampoo into an herbal experience by mixing in a few drops of essential oils. Dilute an eight-ounce bottle of shampoo by half with water and add about 20 drops of essential oil of lavender.
NEXT: Tips to protect against split ends and keep hair bouncy