All medications have risks and benefits. Weigh both sides of the equation with your doctor, and be prepared by asking yourself these questions:
- Do I feel normal, or does something feel really out of whack?
- Do I feel unusually depressed, anxious, or uncertain?
- Do I have blood in my stool or urine?
- Am I very drowsy, dizzy, or confused?
- Am I troubled by being unable to sleep, eat, or take part in activities that I normally enjoy?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you and your doctor may decide to:
- Lower the dose.
- Change the way you take the medication (e.g., combine it with meals).
- Switch to another medication.
- Try a drug-free period (sometimes called a drug holiday) to see if side effects are medication-related.
- Discontinue medication completely (perhaps making lifestyle changes or using natural remedies).