Don’t relegate olive oil to the back of the cabinet. From breakfast through dessert, it works with nearly everything.
- Drizzle it on your morning toast or bagel, or dip hunks of bread into it instead of spreading on butter or margarine.
- Use it to make garlic bread. Brush extra virgin olive oil on both halves of a split loaf of Italian or French bread, sprinkle the bread with chopped garlic, and then broil until lightly browned.
- Baste turkey and chicken with extra virgin olive oil for extra flavor.
- Use extra virgin olive oil to replace smoked meats and sausages typically used to flavor bean and pea soups.
- Sauté nuts in a little extra virgin olive oil for added flavor.
- For a tasty dessert, sauté bananas, apples, pears, or other fruits in light olive oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and serve.
- Use the conversion chart below to make the switch from butter and margarine.
At the same time you’re making that switch to olive oil in place of other fats, be careful not to go overboard on your overall fat or calorie limits. Too often we’re more likely to add rather than substitute.