22. Lick a fat-free Fudgsicle. What better way to get 40 grams of calcium with only 43 calories?
23. Choose brown over white rice tonight and every night. It’s got three times the calcium.
24. Serve up a shrimp stir-fry tonight. Or dine on scallops or crab. Shellfish (along with dairy and meat) is rich in vitamin B12, in which men and women 65 and older may be deficient. Low levels can result in faster bone loss, studies find.
25. Sign up for a t’ai chi class at your local community center or YMCA. Several studies found t’ai chi cut the risk of falling nearly in half and cut the rate of fractures even in people who had falls, notes Joseph Lane, M.D., chief of the metabolic bone disease service at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. Ideally, you should practice t’ai chi for 10-15 minutes at a time, once or twice a week, to gain the benefit.
26. Make a container of nonfat yogurt a daily snack. With 216 milligrams of calcium, you’re well on your way to your daily allowance.
27. Get your calcium in unexpected places, like calcium-fortified orange juice, calcium-fortified cereals, and frozen yogurt. Okay, you probably knew there was calcium in frozen yogurt, but the bone benefits should go a long way toward assuaging any guilt over lapping up this delectable dessert.
28. Steam up a bowl of edamame this evening. Just five minutes is all it takes to prepare these delicious soybeans. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt and pop the beans into your mouth as a before-dinner snack. The science is still evolving, but it seems that the natural plant estrogens in soy help strengthen bone the same way our own hormones do.
Stealth Healthbuy NOW$31.96