Learn more about the 18 Big Ideas to Reform Health Care in America
1. Fight the Big Five Find out how to take proactive steps if you’re managing a chronic disease at fightchronicdisease.org. Read Health Care Reform Now! A Prescription for Change by George Halvorson, chairman and CEO of Kaiser Foundation Health Plan.
2. Reduce Medical Errors by Thinking Like an Airline You can subscribe to an e-mail newsletter about developments in health policy at mayoclinic.org. And find out more about patient safety reform from the National Patient Safety Foundation, npsf.org.
3. Get It Right the First Time Inquire about a second-opinion program at your job, or encourage your employer to enroll in one like Best Doctors at bestdoctors.com.
4. Pay Employees for Healthy Habits Learn how businesses and organizations are coming together to fix health care at coalition4healthcare.org. See how Steve Burd made it work at Safeway. Watch his address on health care at safeway.com.
5. E-Prescribe Visit ehealthinitiative.org to find out about studies, conferences, and events on e-prescribing.
6. Use Retail Clinics for Routine Care Find a retail health clinic in your area at ccaclinics.org.
7. Share Information to Fight Cancer Learn more about collaborative efforts to implement faster, safer, and smarter FDA-approved prescription drugs and medical products at c-path.org.
8. Measure Results and Make Them Public Get ratings for hundreds of Minnesota health-care providers at mnhealthcare.org.
9. Stop Unnecessary Treatments Do you really need the medical procedure your doctor recommends? Learn how to have a two-way conversation with your doctor at overtreated.com.
10. Reduce Infant Mortality Help save the lives of premature newborns: Log onto marchofdimes.com/prematurity to be a part of the Prematurity Campaign and make a donation.
11. Make Schools Healthier Make the sugar-free case to the principal and PTA at your child’s school. For more information, go to healthykidssmartkids.com.
12. Don’t Hire Smokers Grab health care by the horns like Jim Hagedorn. To find out how to develop a wellness plan like his, go to takecareemployersolutions.com.
14. Save Primary Care Connect with others and help save primary care at the AMA Patients’ Action Network, http://patientsactionnetwork.org/index.aspx.
15. Award Prizes for Affordable Drugs Read blogs, articles, and more at James Love’s homepage, keionline.org, to learn about innovative ways to reward breakthrough medicines.
16. Visit a Virtual Doc Find out how to reach a doc 24/7 at americanwell.com.
17. Team Up in Hospitals To find out more about the Cleveland Clinic’s multidisciplinary approach to health care, go to clevelandclinic.org. Read the book that inspired the plan, Redefining Health Care: Creating Value-Based Competition on Results, by Michael E. Porter and Elizabeth Olmsted Teisberg (it was named 2007 book of the year by the American College of Healthcare Executives).