Beans are packed with fiber (15 grams in just a cup of black beans) and, since they come canned, they’re so easy to use. Just rinse them first to remove excess sodium (or look for the no-salt-added variety).
1. Puree a can of cannellini beans with 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Use as a dip for veggies and whole-grain crackers.
2. Spread nonfat refried beans on a whole-wheat burrito and sprinkle with chopped chicken and shredded cheese.
3. Use 1/4 cup black beans and salsa as a filling for your morning omelet.
4. Make a bean salad with canned black beans, fresh or frozen corn kernels, chopped cilantro, chopped onion, and chopped tomato. Drizzle with olive oil and a dash of vinegar, salt, and pepper.
5. Make your own chili pizza. Top a prepared (whole-wheat) pizza crust with kidney beans, shredded cheese, and ground turkey cooked with chili flavorings.