Beans are packed with fiber (15 grams in just
a cup of black beans) and, since they come
canned, they’re so easy to use. Just rinse them first to
remove excess sodium (or look for the no-salt-added variety).
1. Puree a can of cannellini beans with 2 garlic cloves,
1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Use
as a dip for veggies and whole-grain crackers.
2. Spread nonfat refried beans on a whole-wheat burrito
and sprinkle with chopped chicken and shredded cheese.
3. Use 1/4 cup black beans and salsa as a filling for your
4. Make a bean salad with canned black beans, fresh or
frozen corn kernels, chopped cilantro, chopped onion,
and chopped tomato. Drizzle with olive oil and a dash of
vinegar, salt, and pepper.
5. Make your own chili pizza. Top a prepared (whole-wheat)
pizza crust with kidney beans, shredded cheese, and
ground turkey cooked with chili flavorings.