- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
8 to 12 ice cubes (optional)
Sprigs fresh cilantro
How to make it
Healthy Cooking Tip
Do not add the avocado too soon — not only will it discolor slightly, but its flavor will mellow and lose its vital freshness.
- This soup is also good hot. Puree the hot soup with the avocado and stir in sour cream instead of yogurt.
- For a soup with a Mexican flavor, cook 1 or 2 seeded and finely chopped fresh green chiles with the leeks.
- For a simple no-cook avocado soup, blend 2 avocados with 2 cups vegetable stock, then add the yogurt and lime juice, and season to taste.
- To make vichyssoise, the classic chilled leek and potato soup, increase the stock to 1 quart (2 pints) and cook 2 peeled and sliced potatoes with the leeks. Omit the avocado, lime juice, and cilantro, and serve sprinkled with snipped fresh chives.
- Half an avocado provides one quarter of the recommended daily intake of vitamin B6 and useful amounts of vitamin E and potassium. Both vitamin B6 and vitamin E help the skin remain in good condition.
- Leeks provide useful amounts of folate, which is important for proper blood cell formation and development of the nervous system in an unborn baby.
Nutritional Information(per serving)
- Calories: 170
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbs: 7g
- Protein: 5g
- Fiber: 3g
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.
I think my pilot was a little inexperienced. We were sitting on the runway, and he said, “OK, folks, we’re gonna be taking off in a just few—whoa! Here we go.”
“I can’t wait until your vacation is over.” —Everyone following you on Instagram
A man knocked on my door and asked for a donation toward the local swimming pool. So I gave him a glass of water.
Comedian Greg Davies
Just found the worst page in the entire dictionary. What I saw was disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest, and disingenuous.
Client: We need you to log in to the YouTube and make all our company videos viral.
My cat just walked up to the paper shredder and said, “Teach me everything you know.”
“Just because you can’t dance doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dance.” —Alcohol
@yoyoha (Josh Hara)
My parents didn’t want to move to Florida, but they turned 60 and that’s the law.
Q: What do you call an Amish guy with his hand in a horse’s mouth?
A: A mechanic.