There are more ways than you can imagine to sprinkle cinnamon into your diet.
- Add cinnamon to applesauce as the apples are cooking or use it to spice up baked apples.
- Shake it on whole grain toast or whole grain English muffins.
- Add a half teaspoon or so of cinnamon to ground coffee before starting the pot. You can also add it to tea or drink chai, which contains cinnamon and other spices.
- Mix it into hot cereals, especially oatmeal.
- Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of ice cream or frozen yogurt or add it to plain yogurt along with a little honey.
- Mix some with low-fat cream cheese for a tasty bread spread.
- Flavor winter squash or sweet potatoes with cinnamon.
Perfect Portion: 1/2 teaspoon
Just 1/2 teaspoon a day can benefit your health. If you like cinnamon, go ahead and eat a couple of teaspoons a day, but don’t go overboard. Cinnamon contains natural compounds that can be toxic in high doses.